This makes for a tasty autumn meal when locally grown apples are plentiful. Serve with wedges of Oven Skillet Potatoes. Hint: Bake the potatoes while preparing this dish.
- 1 (12 ounce) package fully cooked chicken or pork sausage links with apple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small to medium sweet onion, halved and cut into slivers
- 2 carrots, sliced length-wise into sticks
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup canned or bottles sauerkraut, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Dash of dried red pepper flakes, if desired
- In a large skillet, brown sausages until cooked through. Set aside on plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and saute onion, carrots, and apples until just about tender.
- Add sauerkraut, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes; cover and cook 5 minutes. Return sausages to pan; heat through.
Recipe and picture are from the Good Old Days Magazine – Issue January/February 2021.