This traditional Chinese dish is perfect to serve in celebration of the Chinese New Year – 2022 is the year of the tiger!
“The beauty of this dish is that it is both simple and adaptable: pork, chicken, or even tofu can replace the beef, and other green vegetables such as broccoli can be used instead of snow peas.”
- 3/4 pound flank steak
- 3 tablespoons oil (for stir-frying, or as needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 6 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water (or chicken broth, or rice wine)
- For the Marinade:
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Cut the steak across the grain into thin strips 1 1/2 – 2 inches long.
- Place the beef strips in a bowl and add the marinade ingredients one at a time, adding the cornstarch last. Mix well and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a wok or heavy skillet on medium-high heat, and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef. Let it sear for a minute, then stir-fry until the redness is gone and the beef is nearly cooked. Remove the beef from the pan and drain, wipe out the pan
- Heat oil in the wok. Add garlic and snow peas. Stir-fry, stirring continually, until they turn dark green (up to 2 minutes). Sprinkle the salt over the snow peas while stir-frying.
- Add the beef back into the pan. Add the chicken broth, water, or rice wine you’ve chosen. Stir for another minute to mix everything together.
- Serve hot. This recipe serves 3 – 4.
This recipe is from The Spruce Eats. https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-with-snow-peas-stir-fry-694101