Available ingredients make this easy to prepare, and it may be made ahead. White or brown rice works equally well. Recipe and picture are from the Good Old Days Magazine – Issue January/February 2021.
- 1 pound Ground chuck
- 1 cup Chopped onion
- 1 (10 ¾ ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain off grease. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in tomato soup, diced tomatoes, sauerkraut, and parsley. Stir in cooked rice, season to taste, and spread mixture in prepared dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove dish from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheddar and return to oven. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.