Makes about 6 dozen sandwich cookies.
- Chocolate cookies:
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sour milk (1 cup sweet milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 cup marshmallow crème
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- For cookies, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa powder, vanilla, boiling water, and sour milk. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and egg yolks. Gradually add flour mixture, followed by cocoa mixture.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool cookies on rack.
- For filling, beat together shortening, confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to make it spreading consistency. Add marshmallow crème and vanilla.
- When cookies are cool, spread half of them with filling and then top with the remaining cookies.
Recipe and picture are from the Good Old Days Magazine – Issue January/February 2021.