Recipe from “The Old Farmer’s Almanac: Comfort Food” 2021. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
The stock reduction reduces the need to add salt. Try for yourself!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the brussels sprouts, onion, and garlic, then cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until not quite tender. Uncover and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the cream and mustard and cook, stirring often, unti the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce that coats the sprouts. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.