These piquant appetizers are a holiday favorite. Keep them hot in a slow cooker. Recipe and picture are from the Good Old Days Magazine – Issue January/February 2021.
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 envelope packaged soup mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (14 ½ ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For meatballs, in a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, and onion soup mix. Form into 30 meatballs and place in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- For sauce, in a 2-quart saucepan, combine cranberry sauce, sauerkraut, chili sauce, brown sugar, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until ingredients are well blended. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour. Carefully remove foil and continue baking for an additional 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.